Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Modern Parents are Crazy




My kids know the classic fairy tale stories.  They have heard me read them the 3 little pigs, Little Red Riding Hood, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, and countless others.  When they were younger they asked me to read them these stories as often as the modern children books that we own.  They have also watched the Disney version of the classics such as Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, and Robin Hood.  I remember these stories and movies from my own childhood and saw nothing wrong with my own children listening to, reading, or watching them.


A new poll put out by the BBC shows that parents such as myself, are part of a fast growing minority.  The BBC recently polled 2,000 parents about the classic fairy tales, half of them said that the classics are too scary for children.  With the kidnapping, violence, and other horrible things that happen in these stories modern parents believe the classics are things nightmares are made of.

Modern Parents are moving towards sheltering the next generation more from the horrors of the world.  It was only time before they moved from harassing Disney about the lack of ethnic princesses for their daughters to look up to, and classic fairy tales seem to be the next target.  Those horrible tales that have been told by generations of mothers for the sole purpose of scaring young children at bedtime so they will wake up in the middle of the night screaming.

My generation is already causing enough problems for our kids with our over use of sanitizer, over scheduling, over analyzing everything they do, say or touch.  I'm going to be disappointed if it turns out that my generation is the cause of the classic children stories being lost, they are wonderful stories that my children loved, as have countless other children.  The nightly news is scarier than the 3 Little Pigs, and hopefully soon parents will realize that before it is a forgotten story.

 

1 comment:

  1. I wholeheartedly agree!

    new fan here via Theta Mom!

    ReplyDelete