Saturday, January 21, 2012
My battle Part 1
In August of 2011 I started having some female health issues. I went to my wonderful doctor on September 12th for a full workup. Two weeks later I had an ultrasound done, and was too find out the results of my blood work and pap. During the ultrasound a large polyp was found in my uterus, and I was thinking no big deal it's just one polyp. After my ultrasound I talked to my doctor and found out that in addition to the polyp I also had an abnormal pap. He told me not to worry, that it was probably not cancer, but he still wanted to do a hysterectomy to be on the safe side and that he would do the biopsy at that time. My heart sank to my knees, I know that we were done having kids and that I already had a tubal so we wouldn't have any more. A hysterectomy is major surgery and with one parent already disabled, my kids can't have another one with health issues. He told me to go home and talk to the Big Guy to figure out when would be a good time to schedule it, and he'd see me back in a week.
At home we decided that during Christmas break, the week after Christmas would be the best time for me to have it done. I wouldn't have to worry about him not getting homework done, forgetting to sign something, or sleeping through an alarm clock resulting in the kids missing school. I called my insurance company to get approved for my surgery, only to find out that they don't pay for any kind of surgery. I already knew that they wouldn't cover out patient surgery, but I didn't realize that they wouldn't cover inpatient surgery. I knew that they considered IVs and casts to be "out patient surgeries", but never figured that they wouldn't cover at least a small portion of an actual surgery.
At this point I was already having head aches and back aches that my doctor was assuming was coming from this large polyp. I went back a week later to tell him that my insurance wouldn't cover the surgery and he suggested I try our state pay insurance (HIPP). He told me to take Tylenol for the pains, and if they got to be to much then to call him back and he would see if he could get something stronger for me. He wanted to see me back in January at the latest to make sure that I wasn't developing any more polyps, and to do another pap to see if it was still abnormal.
to be continued.......