Thursday, November 24, 2011

Amber Alert Avoided

I ran into town last night to pick up a few things for the holiday today, on my way home I saw two boys waving their arms, flagging me down.  Living in the middle of no where my whole life, I've always been cautious of picking up hitch hikers, but the mom in me wouldn't let me drive that last 3/4 mile home.  The boys looked only to be about 12 and 7, and it's cold out, and it was 10:30pm.  I thought that the youngest one was carrying a child's hunting rifle, and my mind went to they had been deer hunting with their dad and there was an accident.  I went ahead and pulled over and rolled my passenger side window down a little.  What I thought was a rifle, ended up being fishing poles folded up.  The oldest one told me that they only lived a couple of miles away, so I went ahead and told them to get in the back.  I almost told the younger one he had to sit in my sons booster seat since he was so small. 
I tried to make some small talk with them while I drove them home.  Telling them my name, asking them what grades they were in, telling them what grades my kids were in, simple things.  The younger boy was crying and I told him I'd have them home in just a minute. 
I pulled up to a house with all of the lights on and a ton of cars in the drive.  I'm not sure how long they had been gone, but it was long enough for the sheriffs department to have been called and the search dogs from out of town to be brought in.  Their mother pulled the boys out of my truck and ordered them into the house while their father asked my name, and thanked me several times.
I was almost in tears when I drove away, those boys were about the same age as my girls.  I couldn't imagine them being out, alone, walking around the fields, that late at night.  I know that I can't begin to know how their mother must have felt till I pulled up in front of their house, having no clue where her boys were. 
I'm glad that I was able to help out another mother last night, I just hope that she never has to repay me the favor.

No comments:

Post a Comment